In my earlier post I had discussed steps required to submit a sitemap to Google and in this post I am going to discuss the steps required to submit sitemap to Bing. If you are interested to know more about sitemaps, you can read my earlier post about sitemaps. In short I can say, sitemaps are central to the SEO activity for a website and must be well understood and utilized by the webmaster to get most out of the search engines.
Following are the steps to add a sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools:
- First of all you need to login to Bing Webmaster Tools using your Windows Live account.
- After login to Bing Webmaster Tool you will be landed on the Dashboard, where you will find multiple options for your disposal as shown in the below image:
- If your site is not yet added to the Bing Webmaster Tools, you have to click on the “Add a Site” link as shown in the above image.
- After clicking on the “Add a Site” link you will be redirected to the add new site page, as shown in the below image:
- As shown in the above image enter the URL of your website in the “URL text-box” and enter the absolute URL of your website’s sitemap in the “Add a sitemap text-box”, leave the drop down asking for the most traffic time to the website as default and click on the “Add” button. Here you are finished with the website and sitemap submission to the Bing Webmaster Tools. But, please continue to read on as there is more to it.
- Steps 3 to 5 are applicable only when you are adding a website as well as submitting its sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools as single activity. But there may be the case that you have already submitted your website to Bing Webmaster Tools and now you just want to submit sitemap of your website which you haven’t done at the time of website submission. Steps 7 onwards discuss the process to submit sitemap for already submitted website on Bing webmaster Tools.
- After login to Bing Webmaster Tools, you will be presented with multiple options as already discussed in the point 2 above. Among these options you need to click on the “Configure My Site” link, which will expand after clicking on it as shown in the below image:
- Now, you need to click on the “Sitemaps” link from the expanded menu as shown in the above image.
- After clicking on the “Sitemaps” link from the expanded menu you will be redirected to “Sitemaps Page” as shown in the below image:
- On the “Sitemaps Page” you need to enter the absolute URL of you website’s sitemap in the “Submit a sitemap text-box” and click on the “SUBMIT” button to complete the sitemap submission process.
- In both the cases as discussed above, Bing will verify and check the validity of your sitemap, if no errors are found in the sitemap than Bing will start indexing your webpages.
In this post I have discussed the steps you need to do to submit sitemaps of your website to Bing, if you have found this post informative and useful then do consider sharing it.