In my earlier post I had discussed about sitemap, what they are and how they are useful for search engine optimization. If you want to know more about the sitemap I would recommend you to read my earlier post What Are Sitemaps. In this post I am discussing about the steps you need to follow to submit a sitemap to Google.
Following are the steps you need to follow to submit sitemap to Google:
- Create a sitemap for your website. If you are using WordPress you can use Google XML Sitemaps plug-in, you can download this plug-in from Google XML Sitemap Plug-in site or by directly searching “Google XML Sitemap” from Add New plug-in section of your WordPress admin panel. On the other hand, if you have a plain HTML website you can use www.xml-sitemaps.com to generate XML sitemap for your website.
- Login to your Google WebMaster account by using your Google Account credentials.
- If your site is not yet added to the Google Webmaster Tools, add it by clicking Add a site button as shown in the below image:
- There is no need of verification to submit xml sitemap to the Google, so do not bother about verification of site if you have not done it yet. You can skip site verification for now.
- Your site will be available on the Google Webmaster home page after you will add you website to WebMaster Tools as described in step 3 and 4.
- Click your site URL on the Google WebMaster home page and you will be redirected to the Webmaster Dashboard as shown in below image:
- Now click on the Sitemaps tab (highlighted in the above image) on the dashboard. After clicking on the Sitemaps tab you will be redirected to the screen as shown below:
- Now click on the ADD/TEST SITEMAP button as highlighted on the above image. After clicking on the ADD/TEST SITEMAP button you will be shown a pop-up as shown in the below image:
- Here in this pop-up you need to enter the URL of your website’s sitemap file relative to the site root.
- Now click on the “Submit Sitemap” button to finish the process of submitting sitemap to Google.
In this post I have described the steps you need to do to submit the sitemap of your website to Google, if you have found this post informative and useful then do consider sharing it.